Curry Okra and Chicken with Lavender Scented Brown Rice
Posted: July 21, 2012 | Chef Reggie's Kitchen 0
Well it’s a rainy day here in Houston, and I love cooking on Saturday mornings with the family. While my wife and kids prepared breakfast, I decided to prepare a variation of one of my family’s favorite meals.
We usually prepare this dish with a nice smoked sausage, but I decided to try chicken and brown rice. I also decided to raid the spice cabinet and a little curry and lavender salt to see what I would get. Hope you enjoy!
1 Sauce Pot (For Rice)
1 Saute Pan/Pot (For Okra and Chicken)
1 Cooks Spoon
1 Sheet Pan
1 Cutting Board
1 High Temperature Spatula
1 Chef Knife
1 Measuring Cup (Sets)
1 Mixing Bowls
2 Cups Jasmine Brown Rice
4.5 Cups Water
1.5 Tsp Lavender Sea Salt or Kosher Salt (You can locate culinary lavender online)
Think slow and low when cooking brown rice. It takes longer to cook than white rice. Add all ingredients together and cook at a simmer for 30-40 minutes until done.
Baked Chicken Breast:
1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
1/2 Cup Lite Red Wine Vinaigrette
1 Tsp Lite Morton’s Salt
1 T Curry Seasoning
1 T Herb Seasoning (Salt Free)
1. Mix spices and vinaigrette in a cup and place in a zip lock storage bag.
2. Place Chicken in the bag and let marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator
3. Pre-Heat Oven to 400 degrees.
4. After 1 hour drain off excess marinade and place chicken on non-stick sheet pan.
Spray if necessary.
5. Bake for 20-30 minutes until done. Let cool and cut in to 1 inch dice.
This can be done a day or two before if you want. We always have cooked chicken breast ready
to use in various dishes.
4 cups Fresh Cut Okra (Blanched and Drained)
1 cup Onions, Small Diced
1/2 cup Green Bell Pepper, Small Diced
1 each Banana Pepper, Small Diced
1 T Olive Oil
1 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1 T Curry Seasoning
1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1 T Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tsp Morton’s Lite Salt
1 Tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
1 Can Rotel Tomatoes
2 cups Tomato Puree
1 cup Water
Boil a pot of salted water, 1 tablespoon of salt for 4 cups of water. Place cut okra in boiling salt water for 3-5 minutes. Drain okra and place hot okra in an ice water bath to stop the cooking process, Drain off excess water and hold for cooking
1. In a medium hot sauté pan add olive oil, onions, green bells, and banana pepper. Cook for 2-3 min.
2. Add okra, salt, pepper, curry, turmeric, and continue cooking for 5 minutes
3. Add Chicken, Rotel Tomatoes, Tomato Puree, Vinegar and Water.
Cook for and Additional 15-20 until done.
4. Serve 1/2 cup brown rice with 1 cup Curry Okra and Chicken.
Use hot sauce as needed for extra spice.
This meal serves 4-6 guest. Following serving size and enjoy another sub 500 calorie meal from Chef Reggie. Have a great weekend!
About the author
- Spinach Artichoke DipJuly 22, 2012
- Donec quis dui velitSeptember 29, 2011
- Nunc aliquam massa et tellusOctober 30, 2011
- Hello world!June 27, 2012
- Hello world!August 16, 2011
Follow Chef Reggie